Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Super Deck Stain & Sealer



Guy at my local hardware store said this stain and sealer was the best out on the market bar none. He showed me a test he did on a few pieces of wood with different products and SuperDeck by far looked and penetrated the wood better than Cabot and Ben Moore. He is unbiased as the store does not carry SuperDeck products. Anyway, was wondering if anyone here has used SuperDeck stain/sealer. If so, what do think of the outcome? Thanks everyone Sean
Duckback Products - Superdeck Products

I can't say much as I don't think I've ever used super deck coatings but they do have a good reputation. I usually use the stains available at my local SWP stores - not sure who sells super deck in my area.

Cabbot and Sikkens usually get the most endorsement here with Ben Moore and SWP not far behind. I don't know Superdeck.

Superdeck has been used widely by contract pressure washers for a number of years.
It does have a good reputation, if you can find it.
fred

Thanks fewalt for the feedback

I have always used and I loved the way the rain beaded up on the top fo the deck. Someone told me to use superdeck. I did and it soaked in like oil. It did not bead the water. The rain seemed to soak into the wood. Well today I bought 5 gallons of Thompson Seal for $60. That is the cost of two gallons of Superduck. So I will be using thompson's not super from now on. I just dont see the benefit!

Clydeine...water beading up is not really the test of a product. I can rub a candle on a piece of wood and water will bead up. For a few days..until it wears and washes off.
I used Thompsons as well for a few years..but it had to be re-applied every spring (and probably should have done it earlier). Somewhat depends on your weather of course.
But to each their own..

I first started using thompson's waterseal in the 60's and thought it was a great product. I believe it is still just as good as it was then but..... a lot better coatings have since been developed. it does do a good job but unfortunately it's short lived

I've used a lot of Super Deck, and it is good. Would I say it's the best, bar none?? Well, no. It's good, and it will outlast that T crap five times over. But it is still a semi-transparent, and those are not the longest lasting types available.
Beading water really has nothing to do with anything. How long the sealer remains in tact and keeps REPELLING water is what matters.

Lefty,
In your opinion what is the best/longe lasting type out there?
FC

fatclemenza,
I haven't built a wood deck in almost 10 years!! Around here, the wood of choice for a deck is redwood, and that, in Con Heart, costs as much as most composites, or MORE, depending on the grade of Con Heart that is used. Nobody is looking at doing a wood deck. They are all going with a composite or Azek. Marksr is more the pro to ask your question to.
I will tell you this. Based on what I've learned in here, the more solid that the stain is, the longer it will last. That makes sense. A semi-transperant (like Super Deck) is going to let some UV rays pass thru it. Sure, they can put UV inhibitors in it and slow the process, but it's still going to happen. As you move on up the scale to the solid stains, UV rays are blocked, simply by the nature of the product. The trade off is that a solid stain is almost like a paint -- you won't see the color of the wood through it.
Marksr -- your thoughts??

Gee, you mean I gotta think
As noted a solid stain will outlast a clear or transparent stain.... but most like to see the wood grain while the deck is new. I usually recomend a toner or semi-transparent while the wood is new. Once the wood is really showing the effects of age is when I recomend switching to a solid stain. This might be 15 yrs or more on a well maintained deck but I've seen some only 5 yrs old where solid stain was the best choice - for looks.
I love the look of flood's CWF but it doesn't hold up well on anything that gets a lot of sun and rain. SWP's cuprinol looks almost as nice but holds up a little better [they may have changed the name - I ferget] The coating price is a good indicator of quality. Since I mostly use SWP products I use alot of their deck scapes line. Most local paint stores [not dept] will have a good choice of quality deck coatings to choose from. What works great in one enviroment may not get good results in another. Your local paint store should know what works best in your area.
In short - check with the locals and find out who has had the best luck with which coatings.

Mark,
Pardon my ignorance but would you mind explaining what CWF and SWP is? Thx
FC

CWF - clear wood finish, CWF is the product name
SWP - sherwin william's paint, used to be the intials on their label

Thanks Sharoneby. You are the first person who said to stay away from Superdeck. A few folks here on the forums said it was great stain and tough to find. The guy at my local HW store raves about it and the store doesn't even carry it. I spoke with SD's customer service folks last week and they were very helpful on the phone. I plan on applying it using a wool brush applicator and regular brush. Will let you know how I make out. FC

fatclemenza,
Sharoneby said nothing about Super Deck. Sharoneby said stay away from 5 Minute Fence Stain (and posted the same thing in about 4 or 5 threads!)

Thanks for clarifying lefty. I misread the post.
FC






Tags: super, deck, stain, sealer, solid stain, have good, away from, deck coatings, good reputation, have good reputation