Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Curtains Over Vertical Blinds



I detest vertical blinds, but unfortunately as a renter I am cursed with them at my sliding glass doors. I want to hang the beautiful curtains and swags that I have, but I cannot find any hardware that projects far enough to clear the blinds. I am not suppose to take the blinds down and I wouldn't have anywhere to store them anyway. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get these ugly blinds covered over, by my pretty curtains? I have scoured the web and have been unable to find any help.

i've found it difficult to look for drapery hardware on the internet. try going in person to a drapery store/department. you'll find them (they do exist).
measure how far out your verticals project so you'll know how much projection you need to clear.

Finding a rod with a return large enough to use with verticals are available to buy off the shelf at several stores (Bed, Bath and Beyond and JCPenney's).
Vertical vanes are generally 3 1/2 wide so even if they are mounted outside the window then you would need a rod with a return greater than 3 1/2. Be sure to take into consideration the thickness of the fabric you will be hanging in order to figure the return size.
Sounds like you only really need a return of probably 5 or 6 . Kirsch offers curtain rods with a return up to 7 or 8 and they also have an extender kit that adds 1 at a time to the return so you could end up with a 10 or so return if needed. Just be sure to use the extra support bracket that comes with the extender kit for support in the center of your rod.

Hi,
I was having the same problem and went to a drapery store thanks to advice here.
I found this brand Umbra makes brackets that adjust 3 to 4.5 inches. They didn't have enough for me at the store, so the guy told me that Bed, Bath Beyond and Big Lots both carry Umbra.

This question was asked 3 years ago and the person that asked, hasn't been here since.

For about 180 bucks you could cover those existing vertical blinds with a sheer material called an ado wrap..
Most common these are made from a sheer material and will wrap around each individual vinyl slat with the help of a an easy button system up top and a pocket down below..
They look good
google/image/ado wrap

I am having the same problem - I have these nice and expensive vertical blinds that I want to keep - these gives enough insulation during summer and winter but I also want to hang some nice curtains over those. It looks like I need brackets that have at least 6n to 7 inches of projections from the wall. I couldn't find those kind of brackets in big stores like JC Penny, Sears, Bed and Bath, Loews or Home Depots. Can anyone suggest me where should I find those kind of brackets? Any speciality drapery store? I don't even know where can I find those stores in Boston area. Any suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks,
SUddin

You'll have to get them thru either a store that sells custom draperies and hardware or a designer or have them special ordered for you. I only know wholesale sources and I don't know the Boston area.
Another option would be ceiling brackets. You mount them wherever they need to be and drop the rod in it. Here's one online source so you can see them. I'm sure there are other sources. Country Curtains#174;: Curtains, Valances, Curtain Rods Drapes
Sheffield Ceiling Brackets - Country Curtains#174;

Its better to find drapery hardware outside and not just on the internet. You will be able to see the exact sizes, actual color and texture of the products plus there are a lot of items to choose from. No hassle on your shopping.

It's pretty hard to find what they're looking for in a store.

I suggest you guys go to a drapery showroom and explain your needs. Any shop is happy to make an extra few bucks by ordering you hardware out of a Graber, Kirsh, levelor, etc. book.
The paint/decorator shops are always very helpful for this sort of thing. In chicago, Benjamin Moore pain shops are the place to go.

Try this place. You can order Drapery brackets with various projections directly from them online. Here's a link
blindsparts.com

Thread has ran it's course.






Tags: curtains, vertical, blinds, with return, drapery store, find those, vertical blinds, Bath Beyond, Boston area, brackets that