Monday, March 10, 2014

Price For Installing A Buderus Boiler Is It Inflated



Hi,
I need to replace my 21 year old furnaces. I have decide to convert to a hydronic system and will likely have a Buderus G215 with 4 sections and Riello oil gun installed. I will also replace the two air handlers with new 5-ton units. but keep the existing condenser. Contractor is specifying Ruud air handlers but may change it to Carrier. I have an estimate of about $10,000 for all work including adding newer 4-5 media filter. This seems high, as parts should be at most $5,000. Would love to hear others opinion. BTW this is for Long Island, New york.
Thanks

I replaced my boiler into an existing hydronic system, separated the one zone into two zones, and installed an indirect water heater for $9,000. The three other quotes I received were north of $10,000.
Why are you converting to hydronic if you are still heating with forced air?

Actually sounds pretty reasonable to me... you don't want the contractor to not make a profit, do you? Lest we forget, there are LOTS of overhead costs involved in running a business.
Word to the wise... ASK FOR and CHECK references!
GET A SIGNED CONTRACT WITH A FIRM PRICE!

Thanks for the info. I am going to hydronic for a few reasons. First I have heard they last longer and can be more efficient. Second, this will allow me to relocate one of the air handlers so it is closer to to part of the house that it heats and cools and finally I may use some direct baseboard in some areas in the future.

As much as I love hydronics and boilers may be more efficient we must remember the efficiency is set up by the system. The life expectancy is about the same. You now have a warm air system and will continue to have a warm air system. The heat source changes but the system is still warm air. The more air currents you create the higher the heat loss.
You will save money with what you are contemplating but you also would by upgrading to new warm air equipment.

Here just outside of Boston a few miles, a standard single family home boiler replacement system (simply pull the old one, install a new one, no significant piping changes) runs between $6000 and $8500.
A lot of variables can affect this - I think of this as the floor (starting price), and install variables would only make it higher. Without knowing all the details of exactly what is being done to your system, $9k doesnt seem crazy out of line (I had one quote on my system at $18k, while all the others came in below $8k).
So you have multiple quotes - you are likely not being gouged. Get the contract in writing, get a warranty, get references. About all you can do (doesnt mean that things dont sometimes go wrong)
Goodluck






Tags: price, buderus, boiler, have warm, have warm system, hydronic system, more efficient, system will, warm system