Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pellet Stove Installation Question



For those of you that have installed or had pellet stoves installed, I have a question.
First off, we have an old Aunt Sarah wood burning stove down in our family room on our lowest level of our home. We have decided to replace it with a large pellet stove. Now, there is a chimney (obviously) off of our wood stove that looks to be about 8-10 inches in diameter and it goes up through our ceiling and up out the roof at the top of the house. When I put in the pellet stove, I want to VENT the new stove out this exisiting chimney, so I don't have just an ugly ring here in my ceiling in this room, I figured, since it's there, I may as well use it. The guy at our pellet stove place says it would be expensive to vent the pellet stove through that exisiting chimney. My question would be why?? Can't I just run the 3 or 4 inch pipe up to my ceiling and then tie-into the larger diameter chimney at that point?
This is basically my only question I have. I really DON'T want to cut a new hole to vent the pellet stove, if I can use the exisiting wood burning chimney to do the same thing.
Let me know your thoughts.
Dan

Hi Dan,
If your pellet stove is anything like my pellet fireplace insert you may be able to use the existing chimney depending on the size of your vent piping needs for your new stove. What I'm getting at is on my stove there is a 4 flex pipe running up the chimney that is for the exhaust. There is another flex pipe that looks to be around 3 or so for the air intake running side by side each other. If you have an 8 existing chimney in theory it should work providing they can snake them both down.
The reason they are talking expensive is the cost of the flex pipe. It is stainless steel and isn't cheap. I guess the bottom line is you are going to be looking at the stove and it's venting a lot longer than the installer is Personally I would rather spend a little more now than be po'd everytime I look at an installation I don't like.
A friend of ours just put in a free standing stove kinda like what you are talking and the size of the pipe coming out her wall is simply outrageous. I would never want to see that each and every time I walk out the door.

When I installed our pellet stove, I used a 90 degree elbow of the double walled pipe coming off the stove, then an adapter to convert to the 8 stove pipe, then regular black stove pipe into the chimney.

Thanks for the replies guys. So, I guess I should clarify my question, as to what I am looking for in response.
Can I or Can't I use my existing 10 inch diam. double walled wood stove chimney for my new pellet stove? Do I have to run the new 4 inch pellet stove exhaust ALL the way up the old chimney, or can I buy an adaptor plate, that will adapt the 4 inch pellet stove pipe to my 10 inch chimney down in my basement family room, so I don't have to snake a pipe all the way down the old chimney for the new one?
Ok, maybe that's more clear. I just don't want to have to make a NEW hole out the side of my house for the pellet stove exhaust, if I CAN use my old wood stoves chimney to route the exhaust in.
And for that flexible stainless steel chimney pipe, how much does that cost?
Thanks again
Dan

Can I or Can't I use my existing 10 inch diam. double walled wood stove chimney for my new pellet stove?
Depends on your requirements of the replacement pellet stove...does it need both exhaust and fresh intake? Some posters on this forum will tell you that the inside air of your house will do. Maybe so, but there is a reason the stove companies require fresh air. Could be to prevent problems with a tight house but I have been burning wood for over 40 yrs and will tell you that direct fresh air definately makes a difference, regardless of the outside temp.
can I buy an adaptor plate, that will adapt the 4 inch pellet stove pipe to my 10 inch chimney
according to another poster the answer seems to be yes then an adapter to convert to the 8 stove pipe, then regular black stove pipe into the chimney.
I just don't want to have to make a NEW hole out the side of my house for the pellet stove exhaust, if I CAN use my old wood stoves chimney to route the exhaust in
I really don't think you will have to cut a new hole. Like my other post said, if you have an 8-10 existing pipe and worst case scenerio is you need both an exhaust and intake pipe installed, it should still fit.
And for that flexible stainless steel chimney pipe, how much does that cost?
in my neck of the woods it is $15/ft

most pellet stoves require a lot smaller diameter exhaust pipe.. the way I did mine up in the islands was, I ran another pipe up the center of the old one, putting the 8 adapter both bottom and top.. that reduced the old chimney from the 8 to the 4 new.. I was going to run another pipe along side the 4, like a 2 to draw outside air for the pellet.. but since it was an insert, I just dropped a pipe down through the bottom to the crawl space.. I would imagine there wouldn't be enough draw using 10 chimney on a pellet stove and you'd get a lot of ash collected in the flue.. ?

I am have the same ? I have a mansonary
chimmney that is line with a 8 flue not a 8 round pipe but a 8 flue it is 18' ft hight and in great shape. I bought a pellet stove and the isolation instuctions say that in order to use an exsiting mansonary chimmney is must be no more than 10 not a problem my is 8 but it can not be more than 11' ft . My ? is has any one just run thier exhust vent into thier wood chimmney without lining it with 4 pipe and not had any problems? To run a pipe from the pellet stove into this existing chimmney would be an easy install rather than lining the whole chimmney with 4 pipe

what kind of chimmney, mansoary with a flue or a pipe and how high 11 ft or more

I'm not a professional here but one thing that i did to alleviate the cost of +$450.00 on a liner insert was to but 3 or 4 inch double walled pipe, slide it into the existing 8 inch flue that was already there. By doing this (yes the pipe got heavy after a few sections were on and we were holding it from the top of the chimney but it did work.
So in short we relined the large chimney with a smaller pellet pipe and where we met the cement wall, we used an 8 inch masonary thimble as the termination point into the home, a 90 off of that and 3 inch pipe down to the Tee cleanout at the stove connector.
This runs very well and was about $200.00 in cost as compared to the $450.00 i was quoted for the flex liner kit.
'm not sure if this is the best install method but i can tell you it works and to me is not much different than running a pipe up the side of my house....only now its concealed inside of the chimney.

This is what I'm doing.
Just bought a house with a pellet stove that replaced a wood stove.
The guy just ran the 3 pipe up the previous 6 collar which leads to the 12 chimney. No 3 - 6 collar, just a large unsealed gap! Plus the stove is not centered, plus the top of the 3 is less than 2 away from the chimney cap. Can't be good for the draft.
I just ordered a 6 adaptor ring, 3 to 6 adaptor, Tee, and a 90, so my venting will go directly in to the 12 chimney and also with the tee 90 I'll be able to center the stove under the chimney.
I did read somewhere that you couldn't go more than 3x the diameter when connecting to a larger chimney, but I will and will see what happens.






Tags: pellet, stove, installation, question, pellet stove, pellet stove, stove pipe, double walled, more than, wood stove, chimney pellet, chimney pellet stove, existing inch