Wednesday, March 12, 2014

German Roaches (Yuck!)



Location is New York (borough queens)
I've managed to rid my apartment of these stinking German roaches for a few years, but now they are back with a vengeance
From 2001-2004 I used the COMBAT roach gel/baits which did a outstanding job. It seems the roaches have gotten immune.
I tried to switch to RAID baits but it had very little effect.
A friend of mine suggested a illegal product called Tempo.
I afraid to handle this product as it must be highly toxic and dangerous to inexperienced users.
I have read on the forums that boric acid is a option. Where do they sell this powder and is it worth using?
Can anyone give any suggestions, because I'm getting really disgusted with these bugs
Thank You
Fess

I got boric acid powder in the garden/lawn/pest dept of my local Meijer's store (grocery superstore). I think you can get it most places, like a hardware store or Walmart's or whatever.
From what I've read, it's pretty non-toxic to people, and it's very inexpensive--I got a large container for maybe 4 bucks. I read that a light dusting is the way to apply it (I used a mask just to be safe), and it stays good for years if it doesn't get wet. It doesn't kill them immediately, I think it gets into their digestive system and wipes them out in a few days or a week (the pros here know better than me!) I don't know how effective it is on German roaches.

Here's where to order some Maxforce Gel baits, Roache Posse thought it's good stuff. pros use it I think.
http://cooperseeds.com/pestproducts....maxforceselect
I just ordered some.

Your best bet is to get a contract with a local pest control company. You will need ongoing preventive treatment to keep out the roaches that invade from other apartments. I once lived in such a situation. Management treated my apartment monthly and its perimeter, but there was one lady in the building refused treatment because of allergies. The roaches contintinued to be a problem because of her. I got a petition and got the old lady out of her apartment for a day, despite her allegeries issues because we needed to eliminate the roaches.
If you want DIY, then you can use boric acid, which can be carried back to the to the dens of these beasts. If you want professional advice and and treatment, which is what I would do, I would go for it.

Fess,
First off, its not really that Tempo is illegal, its just that it is a commercial product. It is not a domestic product that you can buy off the shelves. It is only available to the pest control pro's. I use it fairly regularly(for ants mainly).
Boric acid will get you pretty good control. I've never bothered to depend on it only, but use it in conjunction with a bait. Also it does in fact still work when it gets wet. As mentioned above, less is more. When applied properly, you shouldn't even be able to see the layer of dust, not just pouring it out all over the place.
Maxforce gel is pretty good stuff to use on Germans, I find it works great most of the time. Its not just us that use it, here in Canada its available on the public market, I don't see how it would be any different in the States. You just have to be sure that you're very thorough in applying it. You want many small applications, rather than just putting a few big globs of it around. To be more sanitary, you can apply the gel in a beer cap for instance(or something similar), and then you can throw it away if and when you solve the problem.(Instead of being left with bits of brown gel in your kitchen cupboards.
Please keep in mind however, as Twelvepole suggests, that it would be good to get a regular visit from the pro's. This way, they can stay on top of the problem in the entire building, rather than just you treating for them in your own apartment.
And one more thing, always read the label before use.
Jay

jhouse,
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the acid and the Maxforce Gel baits.
twelvepole,
I don't know if I would want contract anyone as of yet. I'll save that as a last resort if all else fails. Thanks
The Roach Posse
That's a pretty good name.
That beer cap idea is great. I'll think I'll give it a try. Thanks
Well.....i'm off to do battle :mask:
Fess

An update to my battle....
I've applied the boric acid in small increments around the necessary areas in my apartment.
1 hour after I finished and got out the show. I went to my kitchen and saw a few roaches covered in white dust, crawling like they were injured. I guess the power's working quickly.....
last night I went into my kitchen around 12:30am and only saw 1 as oppose to about 8 or 9 the night prior.
I don't want to use the gel yet. Incase they get immune to the acid, I'd like to have the gel as back up.
How often do I need to reapply the boric acid? Is it monthly or just when I see signs of their return?
Thank You
Fess

Use boric acid labeled for roach control. It is a powdered insecticide that can be puffed into cracks, crevices, and voids under drawers, sinks, and appliances where the insects will track through. Body hairs of insects collect the powder and carry it back to the nest. When insects preen themselves and others, they ingest the boric acid and die. Roaches do not build up a resistance. Reapply as needed.

Great, thanks.
Fess






Tags: german, roaches, boric acid, pretty good, Fess boric, Fess boric acid, good stuff, just that, Maxforce baits, pest control, rather than, rather than just, than just